Go rant

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Dec 19 13:13:46 PST 2009

retard wrote:
> I'm 100% sure I can find a suboptimal programming example from some C/C++/
> D book.

Andrei's book draft is out for review. If you wish to review it and make
suggestions for improvement, I'm sure Andrei can arrange that. Now's the
time to do that!

> Just like an operating system implementation book discusses Minix
> or some educational kernel, it's not really a surprise that programming
> books have naive examples. I'm not really interested to hear how latest
> win7 or linux 2.6.33 kernel patch solves some SATA2 / btrfs issue when
> reading about filesystems and buses. You should take those words about
> relative elegance with a grain of salt. Functional code is usually less
> verbose, less buggy, a bit less efficient due to many issues etc. These
> are things most professionals agree with. Apparently D users need to
> enhance their e-dick by ranting about everything that's not done in d
> just to get a tiny bit of publicity.

I've read many books about programming languages. One stands out - K&R's
  The C Programming Language. The code examples in it are marvelous in
conciseness and utility. It is possible to write a programming language
book that way, and there's a good reason why K&R is an enduring classic
of the genre.

I know it's hard to come up with examples that are illustrative,
educational, elegant, and concise, but it is worth the author's best
efforts in trying to do so.