What's wrong with D's templates?

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 06:03:38 PST 2009

Don, el 21 de diciembre a las 09:20 me escribiste:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_typing#Structural_type_systems
>
> That Wikipedia page doesn't any make sense to me. Is that *really*
> what duck typing is? If so, it's a complete misnomer. Because it's
> totally different to "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck,
> etc".
> If it looks like a duck now, but *didn't* look like a duck three
> minutes ago, you can be pretty sure it's NOT a duck!
>
> Whereas what it calls "structural typing" follows the duck rule
> perfectly. There is no reasoning on that page as to why duck typing
> is restricted to dynamic languages.
>
> There's far too much ideology in that page, it ought to get flagged
> as inappropriate. Eg this line near the top:
>
> "Users of statically typed languages new to dynamically typed
> languages are usually tempted to .."

I think Wikipedia talks about what the meaning of the term is commonly
used, maybe duck typing is not too accurate, but I think most people use
the term for dynamically typed languages. I don't think people
differentiate between what Wikipedia defines as duck typing and structural
typing, though, I think people usually say duck typing to both.

Anyway, if you *really* think Wikipedia is wrong, you can fix it or at
least mention it in the discussion page[1], that's what Wikipedia is all
about :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Duck_typing