Go rant

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Dec 22 03:03:52 PST 2009

Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:43:17 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> Daniel de Kok wrote:
>> I do not mind it, it's ok for explaining a concept clearly. Of course,
>> inadequacies should also be discussed. I'd argue that these are also
>> the thinking steps normally involved in designing a solution to a
>> problem: first try to solve it in the obvious way to understand the
>> problem. Then, make a more performant implementation. Of course,
>> performant also depends on the context. I have written a lot of C++
>> code that tries to squeeze the last bit of performance out of the
>> machine in a single-core world, but it is also difficult to
>> parallelize. In a parallel world, the 'slower' solution is sometimes
>> better.
>
> One of the big problems with the presentations of the functional qsort
> is that it is presented as a shining success of FP

I also have to say that the Haskell wiki doesn't exactly reflect the
views of the whole FPL community. The target audience is probably novice
to moderately experienced programmers coming from other (mainly
imperative) languages. There's lot of hype around FPL, and to get a
better view of the matter, I recommend studying the history of FPLs,
accompanied by references to constructive logic.

Simon Peyton Jones had in his slides a nice graph of the reliability vs
performance issues. Functional languages were originally very slow, but
had the safety aspect. Imperative languages have always been fast, and
only gradually improved on the reliability front. Pure functional
languages have never given up the reliability aspect, so it's a bit
surprising how small amount of people here know what's their biggest
advantage. Without syntactic sugar functional languages can be terribly
verbose. Try writing functional code in runtime D or worse, with
templates, and you'll begin to see just how verbose it really can be.