What's C's biggest mistake?

Edward Diener eddielee_no_spam_here at tropicsoft.com
Thu Dec 24 14:24:34 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/ai9uc/whats_cs_biggest_mistake/

This reminds me of the Java idiots when Java first came out. They
discussed C endlessly trying to prove Java's supremacy as the new
premier language, and either completely ignored that C++ existed or
acted as if C++ was a computer language nobody actually used as opposed
to that paragon of an up to date programming excellence circa 1996, the
C programming language.

Think how you will feel in 10 years when others belittle the D
programming language, compared to other languages around in 2019, and
are always referring to D version 1.

While I admire much of the work you have done in creating D, it does not
take much for an intelligent programmer to realize that your own view of
C++ is jaundiced and heavily affected by what you perceive as D's
improvements over C++. As a suggestion, which I don't expect you to
take, you would do much better in viewing C++ in a more reasonable light
while touting features of D which you feel is an improvement.