Go rant

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Dec 27 11:47:32 PST 2009

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>> I suppose I'm alone in thinking that engineering school should also
>>  cover designs that don't work and explain why!
>
> I'm sure every US-taught engineer has heard of the Tacoma Narrows
> Bridge disaster.  But it would be nice if there were a bit more time
> spent on this sort of thing.

I did spend some time at Boeing designing airplane parts, and past
failures were always minutely studied in order to avoid repeating
mistakes. But this happened in industry, not in school.

 From reading the replies to "C's Biggest Mistake", I see a lot of
people who are going to relearn the hard way. I get similar responses
when I tell kids "If you don't floss your teeth, you'll be sorry! not
now, not in 5 years, but you will be sorry."

Now get off my lawn!

P.S. I'm not joking about the flossing thing.