Concurrency architecture for D2

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sun Dec 27 18:11:42 PST 2009

> I think we are now in the position of defining a solid set of
> concurrency primitives for D. This follows many months of mulling over
> models and options.

Excellent! The last time I had a real play with D2 this is what I found
was missing, particularly when a lot of the newer features are built
with concurrency in mind.

> It would be great to open the participation to the design as broadly as
> possible, but I think it's realistic to say we won't be able to get
> things done on the newsgroup. When we discuss a topic around here,
> there's plenty of good ideas but also the inevitable bikeshed
> discussions, explanations being asked, explanations being given, and
> other sources of noise. We simply don't have the time to deal with all
> that - the time is short and we only have one shot at this.

You're most probably right about this. It would be nice for it to be as
open as possible, you don't want it ending up with bikesheds all over
the place though, particularly at this early stage. Maybe a sort of
guided openness could be used? If you go with another newsgroup it won't
matter about the noise, and you could go through the design process in a
nice guided manner, getting people's initial ideas, voting on them,
discussing pro's/cons etc, that way you get something reasonably
workable before you get to the bikesheds. If you let everyone dive in
straight off I don't think much will come out of it

> That's why I'm thinking of creating a mailing list or maybe another
> group for this. Any ideas on what would be the best approach? I also
> want to gauge interest from threading experts who'd like to participate.
> Please advise: (a) whether you would like to participate to the design;
> (b) keep discussions on the general group; (c) create a separate
> newsgroup; (d) create a mailing list. The latter would have open
> enrollment.

(a) I doubt I'd be much use here, I might have a comment here and there
to throw in though

(b..$) b or c are the preferable options for me, they're easier for me
to follow and require little or no setup... excuse my laziness!