Concurrency architecture for D2

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Dec 28 06:48:17 PST 2009

On 2009-12-27 15:32:52 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> I think we are now in the position of defining a solid set of
> concurrency primitives for D. This follows many months of mulling over
> models and options.
>
> It would be great to open the participation to the design as broadly as
> possible, but I think it's realistic to say we won't be able to get
> things done on the newsgroup. When we discuss a topic around here,
> there's plenty of good ideas but also the inevitable bikeshed
> discussions, explanations being asked, explanations being given, and
> other sources of noise. We simply don't have the time to deal with all
> that - the time is short and we only have one shot at this.
>
> That's why I'm thinking of creating a mailing list or maybe another
> group for this. Any ideas on what would be the best approach? I also
> want to gauge interest from threading experts who'd like to
> participate. Please advise: (a) whether you would like to participate
> to the design; (b) keep discussions on the general group; (c) create a
> separate newsgroup; (d) create a mailing list. The latter would have
> open enrollment.

I think it should be as open as possible. If done in a separate smaller
group, it may be a good idea to post reports to the general newsgroup
more or less regularly so that those who cannot participate in the
detailed discussions have an idea of where it's going, and also to get
more general input.

About the bikeshed issue, I'm not sure how much those bikeshed
discussions are slowing down the more important ones, but they often
start from legitimate real, often syntactic, issues. Those discussions
shouldn't be avoided just because everyone has an opinion. But perhaps
regular reports to the general newsgroup would help confining them
there.

I'd be in favor of creating a newsgroup for concurrency, and I'll
probably want to participate a little too, although I'm not sure how
much yet.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com