What's C's biggest mistake?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Dec 30 22:45:07 PST 2009

Walter Bright:
> I still think you're underestimating C's audience.

Yep. The Tiobe index is mostly trash, but it shows C as the second most used language, just after Java, and Java usage is getting lower, I think in a couple years C even risks becoming the most used, according to that flawed metrics:
http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
Tiobe is not a serious thing, but you can't deny that C is in wide use still. It's a mostly clean language, concise, and you usually know that what you do will not cost too much for the CPU.

Bye,
bearophile