What's C's biggest mistake?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Dec 30 23:58:55 PST 2009

BCS Wrote:

> I guess my point is that aside from VERY resource limited systems, almost
> no one will have C as their first choice. Even with those limited systems
> I'd bet that most people would rather be working in something else if they
> could. That said, there are many places where it ends up being the lingua
> franca.

C has the advantage of working pretty much the same on every platform around, while C++ compilers are /still/ unreliable about standard library support, language features, etc.  In fact, my current project is in C, though I'd prefer at least using the "C with objects" style of C++ like DMD is written in.  As you've said, C is the lingua franca in many places and it's difficult to displace.