What's C's biggest mistake?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 06:51:16 PST 2009

== Quote from Sean Kelly (sean at invisibleduck.org)'s article
> BCS Wrote:
> >
> > I guess my point is that aside from VERY resource limited systems, almost
> > no one will have C as their first choice. Even with those limited systems
> > I'd bet that most people would rather be working in something else if they
> > could. That said, there are many places where it ends up being the lingua
> > franca.
> C has the advantage of working pretty much the same on every platform around,
while C++ compilers are /still/ unreliable about standard library support,
language features, etc.  In fact, my current project is in C, though I'd prefer at
least using the "C with objects" style of C++ like DMD is written in.  As you've
said, C is the lingua franca in many places and it's difficult to displace.

C is such an unbelievably low level language that I find it amazing that anyone
would use it outside of kernels, device drivers, very resource-limited embedded
systems and legacy systems where the decision was made a long time ago.  I would
think the portability issues of C++ would be easier to deal with than the extreme
low levelness of C.