D versus Objective C Comparison

Chris R Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 02:33:17 PST 2009

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Chris R Miller wrote:
>
>> Have a great day, and keep up the good work!  I personally can't wait
>> until D gets to the point that a (total bonehead) like me can install
>> it on OS X!  Alas, right now it seemeth to require more brain cells
>> than I have at my disposal.
>
> You can find Mac OS X installer packages on http://gdcmac.sf.net/
>
> If you *require* Leopard / Xcode 3.0 support or Tango / DSSS etc.
> look at http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/MacOSXInstall

Well, I don't have Tiger lying around for me to use, so Leopard is
non-negotiable.

I tried those packages several times, but each time it complained that
the checksum didn't validate.  I tried re-downloading several times,
using wget and curl as well (sometimes they're more robust), but it
didn't work.

> LDC packages are available for 0.9, but it has some bugs still...

Personally I can't wait to try LDC!  AFAICT LDC and LLVM are some of the
newest things happening to compilers in a long time.  But I am keeping
myself busy with Objective-C right now (I think there's a better chance
that I'll find a paying job with Objective-C) so I can't say that I'll
be investing time into checking it out as soon as I'd like.

He who has not a working compiler on hand should keep a low profile.
Which is why I've not been terribly active 'round these parts lately.

But fear not, I am inactive, not gone!  Or that could be reason to
fear... depends on your viewpoint I suppose.