D versus Objective C Comparison

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:12:33 PST 2009

John Reimer wrote:
> This is actually kind of interesting because it would seem to make
> Objective-C slightly comparable to the C# language in that it's more
> than just a language (as is Java).  It's a platform (and the beauty of
> the platform is really only extensively demonstrated by the OS runtime
> functionality that supports it ... and Cocoa).

In C#, it's impossible or very difficult to modify classes at runtime to
add methods to them. It involves using libraries that normal programmers
will never use.

My impression of Objective-C is that it is a lot more dynamic -- for
instance, member functions are accessed via global hashtables, so it's
easy to open those hashtables up and add or redirect methods.