ch-ch-update: series, closed-form series, and strides

Lars Kyllingstad public at kyllingen.NOSPAMnet
Wed Feb 4 00:34:17 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Great! I didn't know (haven't learned college-level Math in English;
> sometimes I wonder how I fumbled through grad school without major
> misunderstandings). By the way, I might have been wrong with the name
> "series" itself. I thought "series" is something like a_n =
> f(a_{n-1},...,f_a{n-k}). However, according to Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_series
>
> series is really what I thought is called "partial sums", i.e. s_n is
> the sum of elements of a sequence a_n up to the nth element.
>
> So should I change "series" with "sequence"? How about what I called
> "ClosedFormSeries"? By that I meant a series, (pardon, sequence), in
> which there is no recurrence formula - the nth element a_n can be
> expressed in terms of n and a[0], ..., a[k] (a sort of "random access"
> for a sequence).
>
> So, what names should I use? English-speaking mathematicians across the
> newsgroup, unite!

I believe the mathematically correct terms would be RecursiveSequence
and ClosedFormSequence. If I were to use just Sequence, it would in fact
be for the latter.

A series is, as you said, the sum of all the terms in a sequence,
whereas summing only a finite set of terms gives a partial sum. (The
latter could be implemented as a range.)

A recurrence relation is an expression that recursively defines a
sequence (i.e. the string argument of the template).

I prefer MathWorld to Wikipedia when it comes to these things. Here are
some (possibly) useful links:

Recursive sequences:
     http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RecursiveSequence.html

Some sequences that could possibly be rangeified:
     http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sequence.html

Series:
     http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Series.html

Partial sums (and other sums) of sequences:
     http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PartialSum.html

-Lars