D versus Objective C Comparison

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Feb 4 22:01:27 PST 2009

"John Reimer" <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:28b70f8c139c58cb5508b9b1b790 at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Bill,
>
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:55 AM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>>
>>> "Michel Fortin" <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote in message
>>> news:gmbt40$18pb$2 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Nick Sabalausky is curious what the "NS" stands for in "NSString" and
>>> "NSCharacterSet"...?
>>>
>> I believe it is for "NextStep".
>>

> I'm pretty sure that is the case.  That's one element, though, that I find
> annoying about the language libraries.  I think the notation looks ugly.
>
> Sorry Nick, it doesn't stand for "Nick Sabalausky". ;D

Dang, and here I was so sure I had created Cocoa and just forgot about it ;)

But seriously though, I would find that sooo distracting/confusing if I ever
wrote anything in Cocoa, not just because of having the same extra couple
letters prepended to everything, but because any time I see "NS" anywhere,
my mind automatically parses that as "me". "What? I don't remember writing
this...Oh, right."