The path to unity

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Feb 6 08:05:49 PST 2009

With the druntime project, we now have a run time which is shared
between Tango and Phobos. This is a huge step forward, but it's still
not much use without some common user code.

The highest priorities which I see are, in order:
(1) the C standard library
tango.stdc = std.stdc
(2) low-level compiler-related modules
most of tango.core -- for the most part, this is already part of druntime.
(3) tango.math.Math + tango.math.IEEE  = std.math - tgamma().

Can we get agreement on unification of these, at least?

If we are able to reach agreement on this, I propose the next step would
be to ensure that the contents of these files be made "identical" on
Phobos2 and Tango. ("identical" meaning that when the Tango code is
ported to D2, it will be identical to the Phobos2 version, except for
module name differences).

Doing this will not give us very many immediate benefits. It will break
a very small amount of code, but only in fairly trivial ways. In doing
so, it will remove the subtle inconsistencies between the libraries.
 From there, the next step (quick to implement, but requiring political
agreement <g>) would be to decide on a common namespace. Since this
first step is much less political, I'd like to get agreement to do it now.