The path to unity

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:26:52 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
> == Quote from Bill Baxter (wbaxter at gmail.com)'s article
>> >
>> > Every time you introduce a new standard namespace, a bunch of innocent
>> > existing D programs might become invalid.
>> >
>> I do in fact have a top level package called "common" where I put a
>> bunch of code that is common to my various projects.   But I would
>> happily rename it in a heartbeat if it meant greater unification
>> between Phobos and Tango.  'Tis a small price to pay.
>
> druntime already has "core", is there truly a need for a second top-level
> namespace?

The math library almost unarguably belongs in core, since it's just
giving you access to more capabilities of the processor, more or less.
 I'm just worried about the extent to which this might end up going.
stdc is already kind of pushing it; it's not really central to the
language or to runtime operation.  I'd rather not see more stuff
shoved into core that isn't core.