The path to unity

grauzone none at example.net
Sat Feb 7 01:45:56 PST 2009

> I'd remove from Phobos:
>
> std.
>  openrj
>  bigint (old one, by Janice)
>  regexp
>  socket
>  xml
>  much, much more (see more complete list in my previous post[1]).
>
> and suggest/force users use tango instead.

std.
   zip
   signals
   outbuffer (there isn't even inbuffer, whee)
   boxer (I like it, but Variant seems to supersede it)
   cover (highly compiler specific, why is it in the stdlib?)

Also, the following modules really belong into core:

std.
   atomics (contains intrinsics for atomic asm instructions, right?)
   intrinsics
   variant (come on!)
   complex
   bind
   bigint

Next steps:
- unify the C import modules
- move modules like std.range into core (magically enables Tango to use it)
- find a common I/O API (and put it into core), which wraps Tango/Phobos
specific I/O APIs (personally, I'd prefer having something simple like
std.stream [without the interfaces], instead of the clusterfuck in Tango)

PS: It's fine if it's a third stdlib, as long as both Tango and Phobos
people agree on it. It's too late anyway, and important, user-visible
types like Thread are in core.