The path to unity

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 07:52:17 PST 2009

Hello Andrei,

> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>
>> Well put, thank you. Everyone finds this situation annoying. That's
>> the Number One problem of the D (remember "top five" poll?).
>>
>> The problem as I see it is that there is an overlapping functionality
>> in
>> Phobos and Tango (std.stream.Stream/tango.io.Conduit etc).
>> The solution as I see it to redesign Phobos and Tango by removing
>> dead
>> (buggy, unsupported) code, separating libraries functionality and
>> removing duplication.
>> I'd remove from Phobos:
>>
>> std.
>> openrj
>> bigint (old one, by Janice)
>> regexp
>> socket
>> xml
>> much, much more (see more complete list in my previous post[1]).
> These don't work all too well. But there's another issue with the
> approach you suggest. There's no dialectics. You assume that the above
> are the last word on the matter uttered by phobos. But things may be
> rewritten quite a bit for D2. Speaking of your short list above,
> indeed openrj sucks and should disappear (don't get me started).
> Bigint should be replaced by Don's implementation. Regexp should be
> rewritten to use ranges and templatized characters everywhere (you'd
> be able to read text from stdin using a regexp as a separator...
> anyone who's tried that knows that's quite a feat). Socket also needs
> to be rewritten to support ranges. Xml too, in addition to replacing
> the slow delegates with fast aliases. All of these should use the full
> power and expressiveness of D2, not transport their old design to it
> (as they are doing now).
>
>> and suggest/force users use tango instead.
>>
>> What's left in Phobos? A fundamental part *only*:
>>
>> std.
>> math (including IEEE and BigInteger) [2]
>> range
>> traits
>> algorithm
>> contracts
>> atomics (arguably)
>> date/time (arguably)
> What happened to std.random? (I just changed it to support the range
> interface; all random generators are infinite input ranges.) And what
> happened to the up-and-coming std.matrix, which is supposed to provide
> a representational lingua franca for a variety of linear algebra
> libraries?
>
>> So /any/ D compiler distribution would contain:
>>
>> core (druntime)
>> std  (phobos)
>> tango
>> 'druntime' would provide an essential functionality to run D programs
>> on
>> other platforms: gc, compiler, runtime, etc.
>> std - provide simple and generic functionality, that can be used in
>> conjunction (unix style): algorithm, range, contracts, math[2], some
>> helpers/utils, etc.
> [...]

Well, the funny thing is that you've effectively said more here than you
usually do about the issue, and I think that's good. :)

It helped that you expressed plainly what you think needs fixing in Phobos.
  Your range and algorithm work do look quite good, and you seem committed
to the task of improving D.  These are all good signs, and I think a lot
of people here are indeed thankful for what you are doing and what you have
done.

I fully understand the community's discomfort in waiting for some sort of
resolution to occur  (although I guess it's getting tedious to hear it so
oft repeated).   If there are things that can be fixed/merged/shared between
the two libraries, I suppose it would be good to work towards that at minimum.
 The exchange of emails between you and Don would be very good. :)

I think it's fair to say that some things will never merge, and shouldn't
given their different design philosophies.  But that shouldn't remove any
hope of exchanging quality contributions between the two.  It is still my
wish to see Tango turn into a kind of "third" party library such that its
core is no longer necessary.  Maybe this is what druntime can do for it...
and maybe this means integrating more things in core.  I don't know.  But
I'm certainly game to see something happen.

-JJR