Proposal : allocations made easier with non nullable types.

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 17:21:50 PST 2009

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

>>> I remember Andrei has showed interest in unification of the way value
>>> and reference types are instantiated:
>>>
>>> Foo foo(arg1, arg2); // valid instance, be it reference of value type
>>> Bar bar; // same here (default ctor is called)
>>>
>>> and ditch 'new' keyword altogether.
>> That would be nice but Walter says he dislikes a dynamic allocation
>> going under the covers.
>>

> How about dynamic closures? It's way much harder to /properly/ determine whether a closure allocates that to determine if Foo foo; allocates But it reduces syntax complexity (by removing one syntax construct) and make structs and classes a little bit more intechangeble, which is a plus, I think.
>
>>> Note that you can't delete
>>> non-nullable reference so 'delete' keyword is not needed, too (use scope
>>> instead). Nullable types, however, may be recycled with e.g.
>>> GC.delete(foo);
>> Delete-ing either non- or yes-nullable references is just as dangerous.
>> IMHO the delete facility of the GC should be eliminated. (Long story.)
>>

> I competely agree. Don't remember last time I used delete in D.
>
>> Andrei

I've used it for managing very large chunks of memory that I don't want
hanging around.  Access to this memory is generally mediated by small
proxy object using reference counting so I know when it's OK to nuke
that big chunk.

GC is wonderful, but there are times where you just can't trust it.

  -- Daniel