Why version() ?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Feb 10 17:50:45 PST 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> The point is, the current semantics for D's version() are *plenty*
> susceptible to most of same versioning mess as C's #if/#ifdef, and in some
> cases (such as ||), even worse. With either style, the solution is exactly
> the same as any other chunk of messy code: Clean it up! Not only is gimping
> the version-control mechanism the wrong solution, it doesn't even solve the
> problem anyway.

I'll argue that I've never seen anyone create such a mess in D, while I
see it regularly in C. So something about D is discouraging developing
those things.

I think the tipping point is that it's too easy in C to slip into
writing such a mess without actually trying to, while in D you have to
work harder to do it. Hard enough that one might as well do it better in
the first place.