Why version() ?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Feb 11 15:53:27 PST 2009

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> "darwin" is the uname(1) name of Mac OS X, sort of like the
> "linux" for GNU/Linux. Darwin is also a stand-alone OS, but
> that isn't used much anymore (but still available from Apple
> as a CD download, or from the http://puredarwin.org project).
>
> OSX is the new name for Apple's OSes: Mac OS X and iPhone OS.
>
> And of course DMD can use anything, but GDC uses darwin/Unix.

Apple can't seem to make up their mind. uname does return "Darwin". gcc
predefines "__MACH__" and "__APPLE__", but neither darwin nor osx. The
documentation all says osx.

> --anders
>

> PS. I personally think it looks bad, but it is slightly better
>     than OS/X at least (which makes you think of OS/2 Warp)

OS/2 was the dumbest name for an operating system, because it is not an
identifier so everyone invents a different identifier for it. I used to
work for Data I/O. Try spelling that over the phone to someone.