Why version() ?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Feb 11 17:51:41 PST 2009

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Jason House wrote:
> > Walter Bright Wrote:

> >> That is an interesting idea. I never thought of that.
> >

> > Would you be willing to add it as a new feature to both D1 and D2?
> >
> > I wonder how viable having one code base would be at that point?
> > Would druntime be a good way to test that? Druntime would be a good
> > guinea pig. I'd really hope a smooth transition for druntime would be
> > enough to inspire more projects to support D1and D2 with a single
> > code base.
> I don't see druntime supporting D1, it's pretty in bed with D2 features.

There's a druntime branch that is compatible with D1.  I created it mostly
in case the Tango folks wanted to build off it, but that never happened
and I've gotten a bit lazy about keeping it up to date.

As you say however, as time goes on, the D1 branch will become
increasingly difficult to keep in sync with the D2 version, since most
new features will not be supported by the D1 compiler.  I'm going to
try and keep the branch operational for anyone who cares, but don't
plan to add any new features to it since most of the new stuff requires
D2 anyway.

Sean