random cover of a range

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Feb 13 08:04:54 PST 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu>The quest for finding a random cover of an array
> with as little extra memory consumed and with good complexity is on!<
>

> This thread is very long and complex, I am unable to understand where
> to start reading, etc. So can someone explain the problem to me, so I
> may be able to suggest some idea/code?

Given an array of length m, return a range that iterates the array in
random order such that the entire array is visited without going through
the same element more than once. Consume minimal amounts of memory and
time. Baseline solution: allocate an array of indices, shuffle it, then
follow indices stored in the array.

Andrei