Why version() ?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Feb 13 09:06:20 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> Apple can't seem to make up their mind. uname does return "Darwin".
>>> gcc predefines "__MACH__" and "__APPLE__", but neither darwin nor
>>> osx. The documentation all says osx.
>>
>> Will you set version(darwin) though, or would that be "version(osx)" ?
>>
>> The existing D code for Mac OS X all uses version(darwin) from before.
>
> version(OSX)
>
> I just don't think darwin is a good idea, as Apple doesn't even use it.
> See http://developer.apple.com/unix/index.html, where "darwin" is
> clearly second string. It looks like Apple is pushing aside "darwin" in
> favor of "OSX".

I'm not going to argue about what is the best version identifier for Mac
OS X, the I only thing I care about is consistency and "darwin" is
already used by LDC and GDC. Don't make things harder.

> Fortunately, (darwin) => (OSX) is a trivial global search/replace.

And I assume it's equally trivial to implement "darwin" as the version
identifier. Again, don't make things harder by breaking existing code.