OT -- Re: random cover of a range

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 08:38:56 PST 2009

Hello Nick,

> "John Reimer" <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:28b70f8c143578cb5cec61f27c90 at news.digitalmars.com...
>
>> I'll admit I'm not always right or even discrete in my approach.  But
>> I am very serious about standing against what I consider very
>> dangerous material.
>>
> Yea, a few *drawings* of beings that are clearly inteded as sentient
> anyway are "dangerous".  I guess people are going to see that and get
> killed by it, or turn into serial rapists, or it will cause
> earthquakes to destroy us all. Shit, I guarantee there's more explicit
> stuff than that in an ordinary vetrinary medicine textbook. Don't try
> to tell us you're not blowing it completely out of proportion.

Uh... it seems there's some misunderstanding here.  Maybe the material isn't
there anymore?  Though, I don't really feel like testing that theory.

I guess that would make me look a little stupid now, wouldn't it?

>> And from the vantage point of the "rock I'm under" apparently things
>> are pretty bad now even though I've seen and heard a lot over the
>> years.
>>
>> Here's another thing:
>>
>> Remember "SuperDan"?  This is a good example of a guy who you all
>> exercised "pressure" on to conform to your etiquette (I especially
>> remember Jarrett doing so, interestingly).  Why?  By what standard?
>> Was he not playing according to the rules of "niceness"?  Apparently
>> even this community has limits.  Walter didn't even step in when it
>> was at its worst.  I couldn't stand SuperDan's language or sick
>> analogies.... but his antics were completely fair game in a community
>> like this... and those of you who resisted him for it were
>> practically hypocrites, if you will pardon my directness.  I wonder
>> what kind of character assassinations went on then?
>>
> When a person, either superdan, or this time, you, comes around here
> and starts directly attacking other people out of the blue, yea, you
> can expect the rest of us are going to lash back.

Yes, that's probably true.  Some of the lashing occurs without knowledge,
however.  I'm not satisfied that I approached this very well either.    There,
see?  Your intolerance has just made me feel insecure about my approach!
 You accomplished something without violence.

>> If I publicly denounce something, it may be rejected, refuted,
>> ignored or even detested.  But I believe there is sometimes very good
>> reason to confront things publicly, just as there is equal right for
>> you to reject what I'm saying publicly.I
>>
> Yes, John, please save us from bearophile's drawings.

Okay. Um.  How about I just not save you from it.  I get the feeling you
don't want to be saved. :)

-JJR