OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Feb 15 11:58:01 PST 2009

"Yigal Chripun" <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gn9qp7$apa$1 at digitalmars.com...

> A millennium ago, Europe was in the midst of the dark ages while all
> scientific advances were made by Islamic scholars (know Algebra?), and the
> christian world went on holy crusades to fight the evil "barbarians", now
> a millennium later the wheel had turned and the Islamic world is in its
> own dark-age (Iran is prime example of that) and the Islamic extremists
> are calling for Jihad against the corrupt and evil heretics of the west.
> Non of that is present in Judaism.

I'm no theology expert, but from what I understand, the Islamic concept of
Jihad really refers to a person's internal good-vs-evil struggle, not an
external struggle. The so-called "Muslims" that take Jihad to mean actually
committing violence against other people are bastardizing thier own religion
in the same way that some people bastardize Christianity into allegedly
being pro-"white power".

> the only link between Judaism to Christianity is that supposedly Jesus was
> Jewish.

Umm...Judaism and Christianity share an entire Bible. Of course,
Christianity adds another Bible (the "New Testament") but they equally
revere what they call the "Old Testament", which *is* the Jewish Bible. As
part of that Bible, both religions contain The Ten Commandments, Moses,
Abraham (this particular part also being shared by Islam), Adam and Eve,
Noah's Ark, and probably some other things. I'm not sure where you get the
idea that Jesus's religion is the only connection between Judaism and
Christianity.