OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 13:06:11 PST 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Yigal Chripun"<yigal100 at gmail.com>  wrote in message
> news:gn9qp7$apa$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> A millennium ago, Europe was in the midst of the dark ages while all
>> scientific advances were made by Islamic scholars (know Algebra?), and the
>> christian world went on holy crusades to fight the evil "barbarians", now
>> a millennium later the wheel had turned and the Islamic world is in its
>> own dark-age (Iran is prime example of that) and the Islamic extremists
>> are calling for Jihad against the corrupt and evil heretics of the west.
>> Non of that is present in Judaism.
>>

> I'm no theology expert, but from what I understand, the Islamic concept of
> Jihad really refers to a person's internal good-vs-evil struggle, not an
> external struggle. The so-called "Muslims" that take Jihad to mean actually
> committing violence against other people are bastardizing thier own religion
> in the same way that some people bastardize Christianity into allegedly
> being pro-"white power".

Not quite so. Jihad is one of the pillars of Islam, and has about 4
sub-categories one of which is _Jihad_by_sword_
here's a quote for example from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_of_Islamic_scholars_on_Jihad :
<quote>
Ibn Rushd, in his Muqaddimāt, divides Jihad into four kinds:

     "Jihad by the heart; Jihad by the tongue; Jihad by the hand and
Jihad by the sword." He defines "Jihad by the tongue" as "to commend
good conduct and forbid the wrong, like the type of Jihad Allah (swt)
ordered us to fulfill against the hypocrites in His Words, “O Prophet!
Strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites” (Qur'an [Qur'an
9:73]). Thus, Seraj and Ahmad Hendricks have expressed a view that
Muhammad strove against the unbelievers by sword and against the
hypocrites by tongue
</quote>

>> the only link between Judaism to Christianity is that supposedly Jesus was
>> Jewish.
>>

> Umm...Judaism and Christianity share an entire Bible. Of course,
> Christianity adds another Bible (the "New Testament") but they equally
> revere what they call the "Old Testament", which *is* the Jewish Bible. As
> part of that Bible, both religions contain The Ten Commandments, Moses,
> Abraham (this particular part also being shared by Islam), Adam and Eve,
> Noah's Ark, and probably some other things. I'm not sure where you get the
> idea that Jesus's religion is the only connection between Judaism and
> Christianity.

Christianity has mostly redefined out of existence most of the Jewish
concepts if not all of them as they appear in the bible (the old
testament), and the new testament which overrides the old one defines
different, and contradicting new concepts.
Christians use different interpretations of the bible and the christian
faith basically broke backwards compatibility (to borrow a software
concept) with Judaism.
So you too believe in the story of Noah's Arc, well, the Inca had a
similar story as well but the morals extracted from the same story are
totally different and that's what really matters.