OT -- Re: random cover of a range

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 17:20:07 PST 2009

Hello Walter,

> I suppose I should say something.
>
> The website is hosted on Smartsoft's servers. I pay for the bandwidth.
> I am not responsible for user supplied content posted here.
>
> We are all adults here, and I am not anyone's mother, nor am I the
> morals police.
>
> I'll remove specific posts if the author of them asks me to, as I
> understand completely if someone has second thoughts about something
> they posted.
>
> I'll also remove drive-by spam posts, anything with illegal content,
> and links to illegal content or malware sites, as I become aware of
> them and am reasonably able to. If anyone sees something like that (I
> can't read all the posts) please let me know with a private email.
> This forum has been remarkably free of that, though. This is one
> reason why I would prefer google to continue to refuse to recognize
> our server <g>.
>
> If anyone finds a particular poster personally offensive, that's what
> kill files are for. Ostracism also works well - trolls tend to go away
> if nobody responds to their vitriol.
>
> Eventually, I'd like to have some sort of voting system on posts, and
> then registered users can downvote into oblivion any trash (and even
> better, upvote the gems!).

Walter, I regret that I have spoken rather hastily about you in my frustration.
 I disagree with how you sometimes handle (or don't handle) things, but I
do admit that you have always been responsive to me when I've written you
personally about a matter.  You haven't always listened, but you've responded.
 That I appreciate.

I personally don't think the "we're all adults here" argument flies very
well.  That assumption seems to have been the general operating principle
of this group for awhile, and it hasn't turned out to be exactly true...
more so wishful thinking :).  And if that were true, we wouldn't need a voting
system on posts.  Nonetheless, that would  be an interesting experiment in
self-moderation.  Also relying on this community to refuse to feed the trolls
has never worked.

Regarding this topic... you never responded which means this is the answer
in itself.  But that's okay.

I started this with the wrong approach for what I still consider a serious
matter.  Maffi Leonardo, my apologies for not addressing you privately first
on the matter.  My apologies to the group for rushing the matter out without
a little more forethought.  I think most of my arguments are valid, but this
is somewhat lost when the manner of presentation is offensive to the majority
of responders.  Sometimes this can't be avoided; but in this case, a little
more discretion would have benefited me.

Maffi, I still wish that you would find a solution that moves or removes
your "furry" material or the D material elsewhere so that the two are not
connected (including your blog that appears on D planet).  I'll leave that
up to your discretion, but such is the significance of it to me (specifically
one image) that I would hope both Andrei and Walter would be consciencious
of such a root  link in the D range reference.  Naturally, your contribution
deserves credit, but I don't think there is any necessity for it to be joined
to your website without a more responsible regard for linked content.

-JJR