OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Feb 15 17:47:02 PST 2009

John Reimer wrote:
> I personally don't think the "we're all adults here" argument flies very
> well.
> That assumption seems to have been the general operating
> principle of this group for awhile, and it hasn't turned out to be
> exactly true... more so wishful thinking :).  And if that were true, we
> wouldn't need a voting system on posts.

A voting system is also useful for those who just want to see the gems
and not wade through the detritus.

I've looked at a few systems, and have never seen one that integrates
seamlessly with news. I keep toying with writing one, but that requires
supporting FreeBSD with D first <g>. Yeah, I would do it in D. The
webnews thing we currently use is in PHP, and it frankly shows how
desperate things are to have to use it.