OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Feb 16 01:08:34 PST 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> [...]
>>> and the
>>> christian world went on holy crusades to fight the evil "barbarians",
>>> now
>>> a millennium later the wheel had turned and the Islamic world is in its
>>> own dark-age (Iran is prime example of that) and the Islamic extremists
>>> are calling for Jihad against the corrupt and evil heretics of the west.
>>> Non of that is present in Judaism.
>>>

>> I'm no theology expert, but from what I understand, the Islamic
>> concept of
>> Jihad really refers to a person's internal good-vs-evil struggle, not an
>> external struggle. The so-called "Muslims" that take Jihad to mean
>> actually
>> committing violence against other people are bastardizing thier own
>> religion
>> in the same way that some people bastardize Christianity into allegedly
>> being pro-"white power".
>>

> Not quite so. Jihad is one of the pillars of Islam, and has about 4
> sub-categories one of which is _Jihad_by_sword_
> here's a quote for example from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_of_Islamic_scholars_on_Jihad :
> <quote>
> Ibn Rushd, in his Muqaddimāt, divides Jihad into four kinds:
>
>     "Jihad by the heart; Jihad by the tongue; Jihad by the hand and
> Jihad by the sword." He defines "Jihad by the tongue" as "to commend
> good conduct and forbid the wrong, like the type of Jihad Allah (swt)
> ordered us to fulfill against the hypocrites in His Words, “O Prophet!
> Strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites” (Qur'an [Qur'an
> 9:73]). Thus, Seraj and Ahmad Hendricks have expressed a view that
> Muhammad strove against the unbelievers by sword and against the
> hypocrites by tongue
> </quote>
>
>>> the only link between Judaism to Christianity is that supposedly
>>> Jesus was
>>> Jewish.
>>>

>> Umm...Judaism and Christianity share an entire Bible. Of course,
>> Christianity adds another Bible (the "New Testament") but they equally
>> revere what they call the "Old Testament", which *is* the Jewish
>> Bible. As
>> part of that Bible, both religions contain The Ten Commandments, Moses,
>> Abraham (this particular part also being shared by Islam), Adam and Eve,
>> Noah's Ark, and probably some other things. I'm not sure where you get
>> the
>> idea that Jesus's religion is the only connection between Judaism and
>> Christianity.
>>
> Christianity has mostly redefined out of existence most of the Jewish
> concepts if not all of them as they appear in the bible (the old
> testament), and the new testament which overrides the old one defines
> different, and contradicting new concepts.
> Christians use different interpretations of the bible and the christian
> faith basically broke backwards compatibility (to borrow a software

You seem to be assuming that modern Judaism is identical to
first-century Judaism. It clearly isn't. In particular, (1) the
destruction of the temple required significant "breaking of backward
compatibility" (not to anywhere near the same extent as Christianity, of
course), and (2) Orthodox Judaism recognizes the Talmud, which was
written down later than the New Testament.

Also Christianity retains the Tanakh(Old Testament) word-for-word and
regards it as authoritative. This put strict limits on the extent of
possible divergence.

So to some extent it's a relationship like:

     |Tanakh

    / \_
    |   \_
   /      \_
Judaism  Christianity

Also Islam inherits concepts from the Talmud, as well as things from the
New Testament, so it's not a "single inheritance" situation at all. It's
as messy as C++ code involving virtual inheritance.

Actually it'd be pretty interesting to model it in code <g>. The Tanakh
(Old Testament) involves a number of virtual functions and a lot of
code. Christianity and modern Judaism inherit all of the code from it,
Islam only inherits the interfaces.