OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Feb 16 06:57:37 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> I'm glad to hear you're still around. I did feel your colourful
>> language often obscured your content (which was frequently of very
>> high quality).
>> I miss the content. (Not the language so much <g>).
>
> I seriously doubt superdan uses profanity to offend.
>
> He's got an ear for dialog, and the wit to write in a style that is a
> parody of those that use profanity. I think it's hilarious and enjoy
> reading it.

Certainly I laughed out loud a few times. Actually, I sometimes wondered
if he was using a translator, like the Swedish Chef you once posted
here. But, like the Swedish Chef, I usually found his posts quite
difficult to read.

> P.S. 30 years ago, I went to an art house to see "Aguirre, der Zorn
> Gottes" (Aguirre, the Wrath of God) in German, subtitled in English.
> There's one scene where it seemed for a full minute a conquistador was
> yelling at his horse. Eventually, a subtitle appeared which simply said
> "You damned horse." When that appeared, two people in the theater
> laughed, including me, as I knew enough German to know that he'd been
> swearing at the horse in a most foul and thorough manner <g>.

Sanitised in translation <g>.

BTW, you might appreciate the menu at our canteen. They helpfully
provide English translations of the German. Recent entries include:

=====
Wrong rabbit. (Very wrong -- it's Scotch eggs).
Vegetable stew of house husband.
Nuclear braten. (Gives you a healthy glow).
Soil roast to a dessert.
Berries fruits undercover.
Potato cakes sweet or to be hearty and tasty.
Radix vegetables to an apple. (I just _love_ that hexadecimal taste).
All sorts of cute.
=======