OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Feb 16 14:03:56 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "superdan" <super at dan.org> wrote in message
>> news:gnc2ml$14ch$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> if u dun shitfuck there u r dead meat. pardon me french.
>>> don & walt u r 2 cool fer school. thanks doods. tho wut's with tat
>>> apple thing.
>>
>> I don't usually mind profanity, so for me the big problem is more
>> often the high overhead involved in translating things like this into
>> real words and sentences. ;-)
>
> One interesting aspect of writing posts like that is you can use it to
> defeat snooping programs that look for certain keywords and phrases.

That might have been true back in the 80s (70s?) when "leet" was
invented, but I wonder if this still applies today.  I'd honestly be
surprised if most obfuscation attempts could actually fool a military
text filter these days.  I think it's mostly just an online dialect
these days, rather than something of real practical use.