OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:55:19 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "superdan" <super at dan.org> wrote in message
>> news:gnc2ml$14ch$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> if u dun shitfuck there u r dead meat. pardon me french.
>>> don & walt u r 2 cool fer school. thanks doods. tho wut's with tat
>>> apple thing.
>>
>> I don't usually mind profanity, so for me the big problem is more
>> often the high overhead involved in translating things like this into
>> real words and sentences. ;-)
>
> One interesting aspect of writing posts like that is you can use it to
> defeat snooping programs that look for certain keywords and phrases. It
> also makes it far more difficult for non-native language speakers to
> understand it, if that is one's intention.

Being a non-native English speaker, I *HATE* that kind of writing since
it's very hard for me to understand it. When posting to a forum such as
this, the considerate thing to do is try to make yourself understandable
to others. This is the Internet with people from all over the world, not
"the hood".
I also really do not appreciate any use of other-languages like Latin
just to make yourself look smart. for instance, I can reply using
Aramaic phrases, but I doubt it that most people will understand it
here. Unless Walter is going to have newsgroups by language/culture/..
we all need to be considerate to others by trying to write such that
it'll be clear to everyone and also try not to forget running the spell
checker.

I think native speakers sometimes do not appreciate how difficult it can
be for others to understand them. It's the same way with right-handed
people that can't understand why ordinary objects like scissors can be
incredibly frustrating to a left-handed person (like myself).