OPTLINK needs to die.

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 16:27:14 PST 2009

That's it -- I'm finished.  I'm tired of constantly rearranging code
to appease OPTLINK and its outdated object format.

This is, for me, the number one blocker of most of my more complex
code on Windows.  More than any DMD bug.  Tom S can vouch for it too,
and Eldar sounds like he s about to give up on D after dealing with
OPTLINK's crashes.

OpenWatcom is not an option.  It seems to be buggy with regards to
weak symbols.  Furthermore its documentation is sparse at best and its
option syntax is completely different from OPTLINK's.

I *do not care* how fast OPTLINK is.  I *do not care* how many hours
of hand-coded assembly went into it.  I want a linker that *works*,
and preferably one that doesn't use an object format that *no other
modern compilers use*.

Please do not underestimate the importance of this, Walter.  OMF and
OPTLINK will continue to be a thorn in DMD's side unless you do
something about it now.