range stuff

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Feb 16 17:54:34 PST 2009

On 2009-02-16 20:21:00 -0500, superdan <super at dan.org> said:

> a'ight i've read all range stuff n ruminated on it for a while. yer
> ranges suck goat balls. something's amiss.
>
> yer have ranges that generate stuff.  some even ferever. then yer have
> ranges that eat stuff output ranges that is. but there's no range that
> has both input and output. some sort of filter ranges. yer should
> connect stuff together to get chains n stuff. see? i'm sayin': why
> would ya have a piehole & an asshole if yer don't have a stomach.
>
> i/o ranges are a missing link. if yer smart u can unify range stuff and
> stream stuff together. then stream or range it's all the same. not sure
> its possible but if it is only yer can pull it. that would be dogs
> bollocks.

Interesting. In fact I started a prototype of some kind of filter range
for tokenizing XML: takes characters and gives tokens. That said, what
you get is an input range (you can read tokens) that you build from an
other input range (character range). So while it may fit the definition
of a filter range, it may not be what you're thinking about.

What you want, an output range linked to an input range makes me think
of the XmlEventReaderToWriter class in BerkelyDB XML, although in
reverse (writer to reader) since ranges aren't pushing events, but
pulling data when requested.
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/xml/api_cxx/frame.html>

--

Michel Fortin