OPTLINK needs to die.

grauzone none at example.net
Mon Feb 16 23:34:17 PST 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> This is, for me, the number one blocker of most of my more complex
> code on Windows.  More than any DMD bug.  Tom S can vouch for it too,
> and Eldar sounds like he s about to give up on D after dealing with
> OPTLINK's crashes.

He's not the only one. I hope Walter is aware how serious the problem
is. Although D is a really nice language, it becomes unusable with its
shitty toolchain support. Same with "popular" bugs like forward
referencing / circular module bugs.

If I tell someone about D, I always add a warning about how shitty the
toolchain is. Then I hope they won't just ditch D if they hit compiler
and linker bugs...

Even on Linux, where the GNU linker is used, there are some problems
with linking. Sometimes, the linker will complain about either multiply
defined symbols or missing ones. Or the compiled program segfaults...
then you completely recompile it, and it works.