OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:21:51 PST 2009

Denis Koroskin wrote:

>> True Jihad according to Islam is against non-believers (pagans) since
>> from Islamic point of view Jews and Christians are also believers of
>> Allah (albeit with different rituals).
>
> There are two categories of Jihad - greater Jihad and lesser Jihad.
> Greater Jihad is about fighting yourself, while Lesser Jihad is a
> warfare. According to Islam Law, Lesser Jihad can only declared by a
> leader of Islamic Country, i.e. the country where Islamic laws are
> technically considered to override laws of the state.
>
> There is no such country exists at this moment and thus no-one may start
> a Jihad.
>
> What you see now is a terrorism and has *absolutely* nothing to do with
> neither Jihad nor Islam.

a) many Islamic countries use the Shari'a (English spelling?) as the
state law. Shari'a is the religious Islamic law as written in the
Qur'an. Iran, Afghanistan, etc..

b) we're in agreement about Jihad since as I said - it is meant to
convert non-believers and Jews and Christians do not fall under that
category, therefore what is called today Jihad by extremist groups is in
fact terrorism.

c) note that despite being "democratic", Iran has its "supreme leader",
the ayatollah, which is the religious head of Iran that has the final
say about everything. For instance, there are no women candidates in
Iranian elections since all candidates must be approved by the religious
council headed by the supreme leader and they obviously do not approve
women to be in politics.

If the Iranian president which is the puppet of the supreme leader
declares that Israel has no right to exist, should I be less worried
since true Islam is about peace and hope?

Remember that according to Christianity Jesus preached to show the other
cheek, how does that go together with the crusades?

>> Problems is that, Just like in Christianity there is no requirement to
>> actually *read* the book yourself.
>
> I don't agree. Not only there is a strong requirement to read it (I
> think you are talking about Quran, don't you?), each district where
> Muslims live should have at list one person who knows full text of the
> Holy Qur'an word-by-word.
>
>> Instead there's the religions representative (I forgot the title they
>> use) that peaches to the public.
>
> Yes, there are. There is a short homily before a pray once in a week (in
> Friday) in a mosque, that's it.
> Modern people are so busy that they spend little (if any) time to read
> books (of any kind), and that's a great opportunity for them to take a
> lesson.
>
>> It doesn't really matter nowadays what that book actually says since
>> hardly anyone reads it. what those extremist representatives say is
>> what Muhammad wants and that's it.

your disagreement above says the same thing I said before. There maybe
is *one* person that knows the Qur'an by-heart in each district, but
that does not reflect that the general population also knows what the
Qur'an says.

I saw a documentary film about Muslim women in London - they show
various cases but one very interesting one was of a young woman that her
parents (immigrants from Pakistan) set her up to marry some old (and
ugly according to her) merchant (because he will provide for her).

She refused and had an argument with her father that claimed that
according to Islam - he has the right to decide for her whom she'll
marry since he's the head of the family. she had the smarts to read the
Qur'an herself and she read to him the verse that says that if a woman
says no 3 times than the marriage is canceled. the shocked father
hurried to the local mosque where the local priest (Imam?) took the
father's side. she again read to them both the same verse from the
Qur'an and the priest had no choice but to cancel the marriage.
   Today she's married to the man she actually loved and wanted to
marry. and she's a head of a group of Muslim women with the agenda to
educate Muslim women and save them from similar problems.

I can tell you that there are many similar cases here in Israel as well.
we have a plague of Muslim women being murdered by their families
because their husbands/fathers/brothers suspect them as shaming the
family honor. One recent case was due to the wishes of a 17 y/o that
wanted to get a job. her brother stabbed her 27 times after her father
encouraged him to do so.
Unfortunately, that's the current state of Muslim societies.