earthquake changes of std.regexp to come

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Feb 17 14:44:25 PST 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
> I think this choice is not so much available with D1, plus the
> constructor situation with D1 is less than ideal.  Given that, I think
> the choice of class for RegEx was apropriate.   But if the struct
> problems are all going away in D2, then that's great.  Sounds like
> you're saying we'll really be able to use D structs just like one uses
> a non-polymorphic C++ class.  If so, then that's super.

I lost that perspective when criticizing RegExp, you're right. But still
the API is lousy - every single time I am using a RegExp, I find myself
fumbling through the thoroughly overlapping primitives in the
documentation, and never seem to find an idiom that's simple,
comfortable, and memorable.

Andrei