earthquake changes of std.regexp to come

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Feb 17 17:01:27 PST 2009

Bill Baxter:
>Python's syntax I have to look over the documentation every time I use it, too. Maybe it's because of the "matching" vs "searching" distinction that I find impossible to remember.<

I agree, I too need the Python docs every time I want to use something more than the basics. The syntax for group catching too is bad (groups? group? itersomething? etc). I have proposed an improvement (using [5] to grab the 5th group() but it was not implemented. Such syntax is possible in D too *hint*).
It's because of situations like this that I say that designing a good API for std.re isn't easy at all. It will require care, brain, and maybe two or more tries :-)

Bye,
bearophile