memory-mapped files

Sergey Gromov snake.scaly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 05:18:30 PST 2009

Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:56:16 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Benji Smith wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> This all would make perfect sense if the performance was about the
>>> same in the two cases. But in fact memory mapping introduced a large
>>> *pessimization*. Why? I am supposedly copying less data and doing less
>>
>> Pessimization? What a great word! I've never heard that before!
>>
>> --benji
>
> I've heard it first from Scott Meyers.

I've heard this term in connection with premature optimization
discussions.  Like, premature optimization is investing time in
improving something that doesn't really need to be improved.  On the
other hand, pessimization is doing something which is easy to avoid and
is almost guaranteed to slow you down.  Like using post-increment in
C++.