Is str ~ regex the root of all evil, or the leaf of all good?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Feb 19 07:38:22 PST 2009

Daniel Keep:

> But it doesn't, and I can't see how it could given how confusing it
> would make things.

I think that using "in" into foreach() leads to less bugs, because it's easy to not tell apart "," and a ";".
C# too uses in in such situation.
So far it was not accepted in D mostly because the compiler stages of D are meant to be very separated.

> Besides which, we shouldn't be making judgements based on possible, not planned for syntax changes at some unspecified point in the future. We have enough trouble with deciding on things as it is. :P<

I agree that the situation isn't easy, and designing a language is hard. But it's very useful to keep a long-range sight and avoid to step on our future toes, when possible and when it's a cheap thing to do.

Bye,
bearophile