Is str ~ regex the root of all evil, or the leaf of all good?

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 07:45:44 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:38 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
> Daniel Keep:
>
>> But it doesn't, and I can't see how it could given how confusing it
>> would make things.
>
> I think that using "in" into foreach() leads to less bugs, because it's easy to not tell apart "," and a ";".

The semicolon does not introduce bugs.  If you don't have a semicolon,
you get a simple parser error.  That is not a bug.  If you can't tell
; and , apart, get a better font.

> So far it was not accepted in D mostly because the compiler stages of D are meant to be very separated.

That has little to nothing to do with it.  'in' in a foreach loop
header is unambiguous to parse.  I think it has much more to do with
the fact that semicolon works fine, is already present in mounds of D
code, and changing it to 'in' does not really benefit anyone except
you, since you're so goddamned attached to Python's syntax.  Use
Delight, ffs.

Also, "I think I don't like X" is not proper English.  Say "I don't
think I like X" or just "I don't like X" instead.