Is str ~ regex the root of all evil, or the leaf of all good?

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:59:47 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Ary Borenszweig <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote:

>>> Also, "I think I don't like X" is not proper English.  Say "I don't think
>>> I like X" or just "I don't like X" instead.<
>
> To Jarrett: why isn't it proper English? It makes sense to me.

Andrei did a pretty good job of explaining indirectly why it's wrong ;)

If you say "I think <something about myself>", it sounds very strange,
because it sounds like you don't know what's going on in your own
brain.  "I think X" often means "I'm not sure of X", so saying that
you're unsure of what you do or don't like sounds odd indeed.