problem with declaration grammar?

jerry quinn jlquinn at optonline.net
Thu Feb 19 17:55:52 PST 2009

Sergey Gromov Wrote:

> Thu, 19 Feb 2009 01:30:36 -0500, jerry quinn wrote:
>
> > Christopher Wright Wrote:

> >> . Declaration -> Decl
> >> . Decl -> BasicType Declarators
> >> . BasicType -> "int"
> >> . Declarators -> DeclaratorInitializer
> >> . DeclaratorInitializer -> Declarator "=" Initializer
> >> We agree up to here.
> >>
> >> . Declarator -> Identifier
> >> Here, you don't need BasicType2, and if you use it, you recurse, so
> >> using the rule Declarator -> BasicType2 Declarator here is useless.
> >
> > What you describe sounds like what I'd expect.
> >
> > Maybe I'm missing something.  The grammar shown in http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/declaration.html has the following rules:
> >
> > BasicType2:
> >         *
> >         [ ]
> >         [ Expression ]
> >         [ Expression .. Expression ]
> >         [ Type ]
> >         delegate Parameters FunctionAttributesopt
> >         function Parameters FunctionAttributesopt
> >
> > Declarator:
> >         BasicType2 Declarator DeclaratorSuffixesopt
> >         BasicType2 Identifier DeclaratorSuffixesopt
> >
> > With this definition, I don't see how you can get Declarator->Identifier.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> The grammar works the other way around:
>
> int x = 3 ;
>
> int -> BasicType(int)
> // this is either Decl or Type, need more tokens, expect Declarators,
> // Declarator, or Declarator2
> -----
> x -> Identifier(x)
> // either DeclaratorInitializer (Declarators), Declarator,
> // IdentifierList (not expecting), StructMemberInitializer (not
> // expecting), or PrimaryExpression (not expecting)
> // therefore expecting '=' or DeclaratorSuffixes
> -----
> = -> = // token
> // Identifier(x) = -> definitely DeclaratorInitializer, expecting
> // Initializer, that is , either void, AssignExpression,
> // ArrayInitializer, or StructInitializer

This is incorrect.  We have

 BasicType(int) Identifier(x) '= '

You're suggesting the Identifier begins DeclaratorInitializer, but it must start with a Declarator.  We don't have one, because Declarator must start with BasicType2.  This is where I think the bug in the grammar is.  If BasicType2 were optional, then the parse would complete as you showed.

> Finita la comedia.

Unfortunately, not yet fini