Is str ~ regex the root of all evil, or the leaf of all good?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Feb 19 19:20:20 PST 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:51:46 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> bearophile wrote:
>>> Andrei Alexandrescu:

>>> programming.<
>>>
>>> I think I don't like the "g".
>> How can anyone think they don't like something? You like it or not, but
>> it's not the result of a thought process. I guess.
>
> It is not a question of whether one likes or doesn't like; this expression
> is attempting to say something about one's level of certainty about liking
> something. That is to say, one might not be positive if they *know* if they
> like something or not, therefore they *think* (suspect, but not have
> definitive evidence) of their stance.

I see. Me, I always use "think" to evoke an actual thinking process.
Otherwise I use "feel" or "believe". (This turns out to be important in
various interpersonal interactions, e.g. do you want to drive the
conversation towards thoughts or feelings? Guess which is gonna get you
a date :o).) So by definition I can't think I like something. But I
understand how some may use "I think" as a synonym for "Without being
sure, to me it seems".

Andrei