OT: Worthwhile *security-competent* web host?

Spacen Jasset spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 02:29:08 PST 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Anyone know of a reliable, reasonably-priced web host that...and here's the
> key part...actually understands even the most basic security concepts?

... snip

Not really, no. In which country?

I have some suggestions if you can live with out a control panel and
therefore want to do a bit of DIY:-

Firstly there is freeshell.org (US) Which has charity status, and so you
can't really do any commercial things with it. You get a shell account
on netbsd, and they like a donation now and then, but it's sort of
optional.

In the UK there is bytemark hosting, starting at ~150 GBP (per year) for
user mode linux. I believe bytemark to be competent.

xtrahost for a slightly more, but with xen virtualisation and they offer
windows, too.

I think both the above offer some sort of plesk control panel, but that
may only be for domain management.