earthquake changes of std.regexp to come

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri Feb 20 09:05:52 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> * "Resources come and go; memory is forever" is the likely default in D
> resource management. This means that destroying e.g. an array of File
> objects will close the underlying files, but will not deallocate the
> memory allocated for them. In essence, destroying values means calling
> the destructor but not delete-ing them (unless of course they're on the
> stack). This approach has a number of disadvantages, but plenty of
> advantages that compensate them in most applications.

I admit I'm tired right now... You mention disadvantages, the one I
can't avoid thinking of is memory leak! Which means you can't write e.g.
a simple web server that opens and closes files, instead of creating and
managing a file object pool? Eventually it'll run out of memory, unless
I'm way too tired now...

> * std.matrix will define memory layouts for a variety of popular
> libraries and also the common means to iterate said layouts.

I assume this is for handy and practical rectangular (and cubic, etc.)
"arrays". Which would be most welcome.

This "memory is forever" philosophy, is this discussed in depth
somewhere? (With the current amount of traffic here, I simply can't
follow every thread anymore. :-( )