earthquake changes of std.regexp to come

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Feb 20 09:22:27 PST 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> * "Resources come and go; memory is forever" is the likely default in
>> D resource management. This means that destroying e.g. an array of
>> File objects will close the underlying files, but will not deallocate
>> the memory allocated for them. In essence, destroying values means
>> calling the destructor but not delete-ing them (unless of course
>> they're on the stack). This approach has a number of disadvantages,
>> but plenty of advantages that compensate them in most applications.
>
> I admit I'm tired right now... You mention disadvantages, the one I
> can't avoid thinking of is memory leak! Which means you can't write e.g.
> a simple web server that opens and closes files, instead of creating and
> managing a file object pool? Eventually it'll run out of memory, unless
> I'm way too tired now...

Better said, I was too tired when I posted that. I gave too little
detail. Files are resources, so they will "come and go", i.e. will be
under deterministic control; there's no need to worry. Only memory will
have a "lives forever" regime for safety reasons. It's not really
forever as the GC collects it. In short, my proposed system is to admit
that GC is good _only_ for memory, and that deterministic management
must prevail for other resources. I'll get back later on this.

>> * std.matrix will define memory layouts for a variety of popular
>> libraries and also the common means to iterate said layouts.
>
> I assume this is for handy and practical rectangular (and cubic, etc.)
> "arrays". Which would be most welcome.
>

> This "memory is forever" philosophy, is this discussed in depth
> somewhere? (With the current amount of traffic here, I simply can't
> follow every thread anymore. :-( )

I decided to curb my posting as well. Beyond a point even passable
content becomes just white noise. Also since we don't have an off-topic
group, off-topic discussions tend to carry on here as well and are not
trivial to ignore. I'm happy they are civilized (congrats to all involved).

Andrei