The new std.bind

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Feb 22 10:49:20 PST 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> At first sight I thought I had become stupid. Reading the page once
> through left me with absolutely no notion on how or to what one should
> or could use bind. (And that coming from someone who actually has
> studied the STL hard (albeit 10 years ago)). I can only imagine how much
> the average D-newcomer gets out of the page.
[snip]
> PS: with the newest developments in D2, bind is suddenly becoming an
> essential part of the new kind of D programming that is currently
> becoming possible!

Yah, I agree, std.bind is terribly outdated. Recent progress of D makes
std.bind look like a curious silex tool. It's due for a complete rewrite.

I don't have much time for that at the moment, but let's reframe this as
an opportunity. Several people offered to tender their help to Phobos.
Are there any takers for a new std.bind design? To avoid wasting work,
let's discuss an interface first before doing any implementation. I have
something in mind, but I don't want to bias anyone.

So, I'm renaming this thread and launching a design contest for the new
std.bind. First step: how should the interface look like?

Andrei