Old problem with performance

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:19:16 PST 2009

Weed wrote:
> Christopher Wright пишет:
>> Weed wrote:
>>> As a result, classes will be slow, or require more code to achieve
>>> speeds comparable to C++.
>>>
>>> That is actually a model of classes D harder than C++.
>> Yes, C++ offers more unsafe optimizations than D.
>

> Straight to the point!
> I am choosing unsafe but fast code. Unsafe at so much on how much is
> unsafe any code on C++.
>
> I think the issue is closed. :)

I spoke poorly. C++ enshrines unsafe optimizations as essential language
features. D simply provides enough metaprogramming and low-level stuff
that you can do it with a library. C++ gives you a revolver pointed at
your foot, and you maneuver your target between the revolver and your
foot. D gives you a kit to make a gun in 5 easy steps!!! and lets you
point it at your foot if you want.

For instance, you can come up with templates that give you struct
polymorphism. But you yourself said that that isn't a good idea, and
that you should not use value types in a polymorphic manner.